Today I want to share with you my experience with jackfruit. Now, you might want to ask: “what is that?” That is exactly what I asked my dear friend who had us over for dinner. Let’s go back to the beginning. I have a great group of friends who always meet on Saturday evenings for fellowship, wine and great meals. I walked into my friends home and found her large kitchen counter all set up with different sized bowls and a pan sizzling on the stove. She went on to tell us that we were eating something very different tonight…and it was healthy and vegetarian. We were eating jackfruit wraps!
Jackfruit is a fruit that has the stringy consistency of chicken or pork. My friends marinated it with spices, herbs, and lime juice before sautéing it with onions, garlic and coconut oil. We ate the delicious jackfruit on gluten-free wraps with so many toppings like diced cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese and sriracha to top it off. Taking my first bite, I was amazed and kept thinking “jackfruit???” It was simply delicious, very filling and I did not need to go for seconds. I paired my meal with a glass of dry chardonnay, and we finished off with dark chocolate to close our pallets. Another wonderful evening spent. Looking forward to our next adventure; who knows what we will try next!
To make the Jackfruit Wraps:
- 20 oz can of green jackfruit
- olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (omit if sensitive to spice)
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon
- squeeze of lime juice
- 2 cups water
- gluten free wraps or tortillas
- toppings: diced cucumbers, diced mango, cilantro, red onion, cut cherry tomatoes, vegan mayo and sriracha
- Drain off and squeeze the liquid from the jackfruit, making sure that it is completely dry. After, chop it with a knife or in a food processor. Toss the it with the garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and lime juice. Let it marinate for an hour or more.
- Heat some oil in a skillet and cook the jackfruit for 2-3 minutes until the spices begin to smell aromatic. Add in the water and some more lime juice, and cook partially covered for about 30 minutes.
- Cook the jackfruit until it is dry and slightly browned, adjusting the seasoning as you go. When jackfruit is done, serve in wraps and adorn with toppings of your choice. Enjoy!
by Sayeh Farah