Ever wondered how to make your own eggnog? Try this traditional recipe for a homemade holiday beverage! For an adult take on this creamy drink, add bourbon, whiskey, brandy or rum!
National Eggnog Day is December 24th, so make your batch early and celebrate accordingly!
Have extras? Check out our eggnog article on what to do with leftovers!
Traditional Eggnog Recipe
2 cups milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
Whipped cream for garnish
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until creamy and yolks are pale in color.
- Over medium heat, stir in milk, cream, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a saucepan until it reaches a low simmer.
- Using one large spoonful at a time, pour the hot milk mixture slowly into the egg mixture, whisking until combined to temper the eggs.
- Add mixture back into the saucepan and whisk constantly until it thickens slightly. If using a candy thermometer, the mixture should reach 160 degrees.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.