As of September 10, SIMEDHealth announced that they will be accepting participants for COVID-19 Research Studies (SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) related research studies).
SIMEDHealth was accepted by Novavax, Inc. to take part in a Phase 3 COVID-19 vaccine trial. The trial’s purpose is to test the efficiency of a vaccine compared to a placebo.
“Medically stable participants 18 years of age and older who qualify will receive laboratory testing for COVID-19 prior to receiving the vaccine, consisting of two intramuscular shots separated by 21 days,” according to a SIMEDHealth press release. “Individuals who were previously diagnosed with a COVID-19 illness, and were not hospitalized may be eligible to participate.”
Romak Institute also awarded SIMEDHealth a few other phase 3 COVID-19 related clinical trials. They are seeking out participants who meet these requirements, according to SIMEDHealth:
- Healthcare workers at high-risk for direct occupational exposure to COVID-19. Those working in emergency
- departments, intensive care units, COVID-specific care units, walk-in clinics, emergency medical technicians,
- and other first responder and high-risk positions are ideal candidates.
- People unable to practice safe social distancing due to job requirements and have had a work-related
- exposure to someone with COVID-19
- Long-term care facility patients who have been exposed to COVID-19
- Individuals experiencing COVID-19 related symptoms
“The virus has significantly affected all of our lives and we understand there is a lot of interest in our community for finding answers to the COVID-19 pandemic,” says Timothy H. Elder, M.D., SIMEDHealth Primary Care Physician Manager and Principal Investigator for the studies, in the press release. “We are excited to be able to bring these COVID-19 clinical trials to our region and do our part to help America and the world combat this virus.”